05-31-17

0

HOLLYWOOD

Chinese Theatre turns 90

“A glamorous symbol of Hollywood’s golden age, Grauman’s Chinese Theatre is turning 90. Now known as the TCL Chinese Theatre, the landmark movie palace first opened on May 18, 1927, and it’s been hosting movies, stars and fans ever since,” reported Sandy Cohen of the Associated Press last week.

He went on to note some big movie premiers there: “King Kong made his cinematic debut there in 1933. There was a yellow ‘brick’ carpet when the Wizard of Oz premiered in 1939. George Lucas brought R2-D2 and C-3PO along for the premiere of Star Wars in 1977, and the two droids left their marks in the cement out front.”

The iconic movie palace is located on Hollywood Blvd. next door to the Dolby Theatre where the Oscars are now presented. Ticket prices have definitely changed since 1927 when 75 cents got you in the door. An IMAX 3-D screening today runs $22.75.

LOS ANGELES

Manilow reschedules Forum show to Friday, Aug. 4

Manilow then (left) and now.

Singer Barry Manilow has rescheduled his cancelled Mother’s Day performance at the Forum in Inglewood for Friday, August 4th.  He had cancelled the show on doctor’s orders due to sprained vocal chords. The 70ish crooner hit the big time in the 1970s with hits like “Mandy” and “Copacabana.”

Section of 134 freeway to be named for Obama

Former President Obama hits the road.

The California state Senate last week approved a plan to name part of the 134 freeway after President Barack Obama. The section runs between Interstate 210 and California 2 in parts of Glendale, Pasadena and Eagle Rock. Obama attended Occidental College in Eagle Rock in 1979. The idea for the dedication came from Sen. Anthony Portantino (D-La Canada).

Metro’s lane restrictions on 405 freeway through Saturday, June 3

The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority will implement nine nights of lane closures on the I-405 freeway through Saturday, June 3rd as construction of the light-rail bridge for the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project continues moving forward.

The lane closures are needed for the safe removal of the exterior edge wood framing used to help build the new bridge. The nightly lane closures will be from 10pm to 5am. Two lanes will be closed each night.

The northbound lane will have four nights of restrictions between the Century Blvd. off-ramp and the La Tijera Blvd. on-ramp.

The southbound lanes will have five nights of closures between the La Cienega and Manchester off-ramps from Monday, June 5th, through Saturday, June 10th. Portable changeable message signs will be posted prior to the lane reduction.

For more information call the project hotline at (213) 922-2736.

NORTH HOLLYWOOD

Circus Liquor robbed

At Circus Liquor a robber took cigarettes, not booze.

Circus Liquor at the corner of Vineland Ave. and Burbank Blvd., famous for its 32-foot-tall neon clown sign, was robbed by a man with a handgun last Thursday morning, according to The Daily News.

“The robbery was reported around 6:20am at the store located at 5600 Vineland Ave., said LAPD Officer Irma Mota. No one was injured,” reported Wes Woods.

According to a spokesperson for Circus Liquor, the suspect, described as a Hispanic man, 5 feet 9 inches tall and wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, used a handgun to take cartons of cigarettes and about $1,400 in cash. He has not been found and the incident is under investigation.

STUDIO CITY

Missing girl found

Lost girl found: Angelique Faith Davis. Family members and police said she has diabetes and requires medication.

The 13-year-old girl who went missing from Studio City as reported in last week’s Tolucan Times has been found, according to a Facebook page about her, wrote Dana Bartholomew in the Daily News last Sunday.

“The girl, who went missing last Sunday (May 21st), called home just before a scheduled Friday night vigil, her mother posted on the social media site. ‘Minutes before the vigil was to start this evening (she) contacted her mother!’  a post attributed to the girl’s mother said Friday. ‘She is now safe with LAPD and being interviewed,’” reported the Daily News.

STATEWIDE

Testing confirms botulism linked to nacho cheese sauce sold at Sacramento gas station

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) tested and confirmed that nacho cheese sauce that was sold at a gas station in Sacramento County has tested positive for the toxin that causes botulism. The toxin found in the cheese sauce is the same type identified in patients for whom CDPH has results.

CDPH has received reports of 10 cases of botulism linked to this outbreak, and has learned that one patient has died. The nacho cheese sauce was removed from sale on Friday, May 5th. CDPH believes there is no continuing risk to the public.

“While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety,” said CDPH Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith. “As we head into the summer barbecue season, both indoor and outdoor chefs need to be on guard against all foodborne illnesses.”

Visit cdph.ca.gov for more information.

Views All Time
Views All Time
521
Views Today
Views Today
5
Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.