Property to be Transferred to Hollywood United Methodist Church
Citing lack of resources to continue effective ministry, the Toluca Lake United Methodist Church will conclude its life as a congregation on Sunday, Aug. 18, at their 10:30 a.m. worship service. All are invited to gather to share stories and memories of TLUMC’s past and present as well as celebrate the promises of the future.
The property will be transferred to the Hollywood United Methodist Church, whose flagship facility is located at 6817 Franklin Ave. in Hollywood. After a period of discernment and planning, that congregation will develop its ministry at the Cahuenga and Whipple “satellite” location.
The Toluca Lake United Methodist Church began in the early 1940s as a small “house church,” meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. R.V. McIntosh. Worship moved to the Colonial House of Beauty in 1945. The church facility at the corner of Cahuenga and Whipple was dedicated on Palm Sunday, April 14, 1946.
The congregation and facility have served the community in countless ways over the years, feeding the homeless, ministering to victims of HIV and AIDS, establishing a community counseling center as well as providing a home to several AA groups, VISTA Health Services for developmentally disabled adults, and the Toluca Lake Players.
Last year the Rev. Jane Voigts was appointed to the church to work with the congregation in creating a “Comedy Church” at the TLUMC facility. “We had a great time getting The Comedy Church on its feet. We tried many new things that indeed brought faith wonderfully to life. These exciting experiences and experiments are seeds which will continue to be nurtured and grow as we move onto various new paths and into new congregations. You certainly haven’t heard the last of ‘Comedy Church’!” notes Rev. Voigts.