Earth Day Celebration at Descanso Gardens
The glory and color of spring will be in full-bloom at Descanso Gardens for Earth Day, 2010 when learning and fun come together for a day-long celebration.
April 22 marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. Descanso’s “early bird” celebration features on one of nature’s most colorful creatures, the butterfly.
Families will enjoy a variety of entertainment, including puppet shows, a “Faery Hunt” and live music. From 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., the Main Lawn will be a-buzz with activities, including the Plant a Seed/Attract a Pollinator demonstration, compost tea demonstrations, puppet workshops and a seed preservation station.
Patina Catering will offer eco-friendly barbecue as well as a colorful and fresh array of local organic foods from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Limited table and chairs are available, so bring blankets and folding chairs to dine among the trees. (Outside food is not allowed on Earth Day.)
All Earth Day events are free with Gardens admission. Here is the complete line-up of activities:
- 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.: L.A. Puppet Guild presents family-friendly performances in Van de Kamp Hall
- 10: 30 a.m.: “A Faery Hunt,” Under the Oaks Theater
- Noon: Martina’s Under Sea Adventure, Under the Oaks Theater
- 1 p.m.: Mobile Homeboys in Concert, Main Lawn
- 1:30 p.m.: Origami puppets, Japanese Garden
- 3 p.m.: Guardians of the Earth Show, Under the Oaks Theater
Descanso Gardens is located at 1418 Descanso Dr., La Canada. Admission: $8 adults, $6 seniors/students, $3 children 5-12, free for children 4 and younger. For more information, call (818) 949-4200 or visit www.descanosgardens.org.