Summer Learning in Your Community
“Planning meaningful activities for the summer months can prevent your children from falling behind, and can help prepare them for the next grade,” according to Ofra Weinberg of the Encino Huntington Learning Center. “There are so many great things children can do to continue learning in the summer,” Weinberg says. Here are a few:
- Search for summer programs or camps. There are many camps, schools and programs around the country focused on overall academic enrichment and others targeted to specific subjects.
- Do fun science experiments. For example, check out the “Fun Stuff” section of the National Geographic Kids website, which features many easy science experiments.
- Turn a hobby into an educational activity. Summer is an ideal time for your child to explore interests.
- Plan hometown field trips. There are many opportunities right in your community for your child to explore the history, science and culture of your area.
- Move ahead of the rest. “Summertime is also a great time to move ahead in reading, math, writing and study skills, so that your child can walk in to the classroom this fall with a head start; Huntington Learning Center can provide your child with that valuable head start,” Weinberg says. “Parents can keep their children engaged and learning all summer long.”
For more information, please contact Ofra Weinberg of Huntington Learning Center of Encino (located on Ventura Boulevard near Balboa) at (818) 907-5557 or EncinoCA@hlcmail.com.